The family of Joy St. Omer is calling for an independent Commission of Inquiry into Saint Lucia’s response to domestic and gender-based violence, raising a haunting question months after her killing. What happens when a woman seeks help, secures a Protection Order, reports alleged breaches — and is still not protected?
St. Omer’s mother, Bertilia St. Omer, confirmed that the family has formally petitioned the Governor General under the Commissions of Inquiry Act and has also written to Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre asking Cabinet to advise the Governor General to grant the request.
But the family is making one distinction clear: it is not asking the proposed inquiry to determine who killed Joy. That question, Bertilia said, belongs before the court. Instead, the family wants an independent examination of the institutions and systems that were supposed to protect her daughter.
Among the questions the family wants answered are whether police protocols work, whether Protection Orders are effectively monitored and enforced, how information moves between the courts, police and prosecution, whether agencies have enough trained personnel to respond to domestic and gender-based violence, and whether Saint Lucia’s existing laws are strong enough.
For Bertilia, those questions are rooted in what she says her daughter did before her death.
“My daughter Joy asked for help. She asked again and again. She left no stone unturned,” she said.
According to her mother, Joy sought assistance from police in Marigot, Anse La Raye and Rodney Bay, approached the ministry responsible for gender relations and went before both the lower and High Courts. She had also obtained a Protection Order, which remained in force at the time of her death.
The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force previously confirmed that a Protection Order was in place and that an active court matter concerning alleged breaches existed at the time of Joy’s death.
Police said an assault report involving Joy’s estranged husband was made at the Anse La Raye Police Station on March 8, 2026. Following investigations, he was arrested and charged on March 13 with Harm, Threatening Words and Violation of a Protection Order. He was initially denied bail in the First District Court but was later granted bail by the High Court.
Bertilia said her daughter tried to determine the conditions attached to that bail but was unable to obtain the information. “She called. She followed up. Nobody told her, nobody told me and nobody told the police station in the district where she lived,” she said.
On the morning of May 20, Joy again went to the Anse La Raye Police Station to make a report. Police have confirmed that the report was lodged at approximately 8:30 a.m. and that officers subsequently searched for the suspect but were unable to locate him at the time. Joy was killed later that night in Marigot.
Her estranged husband, Primus Toussaint, subsequently reported himself to the Criminal Investigations Department accompanied by his lawyer. He was later charged with murder and remanded in custody. The matter remains before the court.
But for Joy’s family, the criminal proceedings do not erase the questions surrounding everything that happened before her death.
Bertilia said she still does not know what became of charges arising from earlier reports involving her daughter. “I must tell you plainly to this day nobody has told me what happened with those charges,” she said, adding: “So my question is not why Joy withdrew. My question is what the state did next.”
The family’s push for an inquiry has also placed renewed focus on a letter Joy reportedly wrote just 13 days before her death. According to Bertilia, her daughter wrote that she was losing confidence in the justice system and felt “unsupported, disregarded and disrespected.” More broadly, she expressed concern that women coming forward for help should feel heard, protected and taken seriously.
The family says an internal review by the agencies involved would not go far enough. It wants an independent process capable of publicly examining what happened within the systems designed to respond to domestic and gender-based violence.
Legal representative Giovannie James said the family is not attempting to dictate who should conduct the inquiry. That decision, he said, would ultimately rest with the Government and Governor General if the request is approved. Potential commissioners could include retired judges, retired police officers or suitably qualified individuals from outside Saint Lucia.
For Bertilia, however, the stakes extend far beyond her own family.
“This is not only about Joy. Other women in this country have died. Other families have buried their daughters and sisters who also asked for help,” she said. “If the systems failed my daughter, they have failed others and they will fail again unless someone is willing to look.” Joy left behind a young daughter, another reason, her mother says, the family cannot allow the questions surrounding her death to disappear.
The family is now seeking public support through a Citizens Memorial and is encouraging Saint Lucians to add their names to its call for answers and reform.





